Monday, July 7, 2008

GEEK WEEK IN REVIEW (7/5)


June 29th - July 5th

How was your geek week? Any recommendations, movie reviews, etc?

BEST IN TV: So You Think You Can Dance returned to some great routines, but I was sad to see Kourtney and Matt go. Am hoping that Gev and Jessica are next as they are my least favorite. Loved both of Mia Michaels pieces and was happy to see popper, I can do strange things with my body guy during the results show. Also have been digging America’s Next Dance Crew though I miss having Shane Sparks on SYTYCD. Not a big TV week really, but also enjoyed I Survived a Japanese Game Show (I love the redheaded girl), Secret Diary of a Call Girl and am very excited to have Burn Notice, Psych, and Stargate: Atlantis starting up again. Same goes with No Reservations (Gotta love Anthony Bourdain).

BEST IN FILM: Wall*E officially stole my heart as he has been since I first saw the trailer. Was it the best of the Pixar films? No. But I seem to have a soft spot for the loveable little robot. It was a cute film, not heavy handed on the social commentary and made a cockroach absolutely adorable which never happens. Netflix queue gave me Brothers of the Head which was a mockumentary about two conjoined twins who are in a 79’s punk band. More dramatic then funny, but good. The red envelope also sent me The Eye (2008) which was a horrible remake of a genuinely creepy Asian horror film. See the original, not this one. The elevator scene in the original is my favorite oogie moment.

BEST IN PRINT: I Was Told There’d be Cake by Sloane Crosley I knew I was going to love the book after the first paragraph ponders ‘what if I die suddenly. What will people say about me when they look at the current state of my apartment’. I don’t even want to know what people would have to say about mine. I think I like Crosley because I can relate to her from her Bring-Your-Machete-to-Work Day tales of the Oregon Trail videogame to You On A Stick which regales unpleasant weddings. She is snarky and self-deprecating, charming and endearing, and throws enough pop culture, tales of suburbia and longings for something else that I was completely hooked. I laughed, took my own little trips down memory lane and the joys and heartache that are still there, and discovered a new person who is made of awesome. Her name is Sloane Crosley.


BEST IN MUSIC: I have been listening to the new Coldplay disc (disc meaning ipod. I don’t think I have bought a cd in at least three years) a lot as well as a few tracks off of Sigur Ro’s new album. I absolutely love The Watson Twin’s cover of The Cure’s Just Like Heaven. Top Five new tracks to my iPod would include: The Little Things - Danny Elfman/Wanted Soundtrack, Godan daginn - Sigur Ros, Love and Hate - Benoit Guerin/Persepolis Soundtrack, Mouthwash - Kate Nash, and Not an Addict - K’s Choice

OTHER GEEKY THINGS: I picked up the second TP of the Buffy Season 8 comic featuring Miss Faith of which I look forward to reading this weekend. I also picked up a new game, if you can call it that for my DS called My Fitness Coach in which I keep track of my physical activity, what I eat and participate in challenges. Is cute. And finally I have been catching up on my GeeksOn podcasts. If you haven’t listened to these guys, they are great and can be found on iTunes. I love my geeks.

No comments: